Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Evaluation and Assessment

Evaluation and Assessment

Assessment:
Student will create a multimedia assessment that aligns with their systemic/oral health correlation research paper to provide other students with important information discovered to help in developing knowledge of all systemic diseases that affect the oral cavity.

Learning Objective:
Students will create multimedia assessments, understand and apply them to patient education and learning. They will be able to analyze and evaluate information collected to provide feedback to patients.

Project based learning is a good portion of a Dental Hygiene students curriculum. Students have to promote oral health in communities, provide dental education to all age groups, they research and set up table clinics, and they graduate with the willingness to continue to do so. It will be my challenge to make those projects technology based, for example instead of a pre and post survey on paper, a poll or survey using technology may be a good addition. The only downfall would be our baby boomers are not the greatest users of technology and they don’t have the knowledge or devices to do such tasks.

Application:
I like to assume my multimedia assessment is like the segmenting principle. You watch a portion of a video, learn a bit of information and answer a quiz question prior to moving on to the next segment or topic. Each one builds on the next and in the end you have learned a wealth of new information.

Reflection:
This week was easier for me than others, because I was more familiar with the technology/assignments we used. I enjoy ‘project based learning’ because I feel it is more hands on and that is my kind of learning. I think I will try to use polls more often, especially in the dental clinic. It would be neat to have patients to answer a poll when they arrive and when they leave via their phones for great feedback and research for students. Creating rubrics online is fairly easy, and technology that assists you in doing so is a nice extra to have.



Multimedia Assessment:



Rubric: Rubric: Systemic Disease and Oral Health Coorelation


Poll:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie,

    I enjoyed exploring your artifacts this week! I liked the topic that you selected, and I think it can be used for various grade levels, especially during Dental Health Month in February. I thought that the poll you created was very user-friendly, and I like that you provided an opportunity for your students to vote, which will help to make the learning activity meaningful. Finally, I thought that your Multimedia Assessment did a great job of applying the Segmenting Principle, and I am sure that your students will appreciate the quiz being in learner-paced segments. Overall, great job on your artifacts!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Bernie :)

    ReplyDelete