Sunday, September 18, 2016

Digital Images

Lesson/Idea: Create an Infographic to educate patients on fluoride, include images and evidence based facts.

Learning Objective: Students will assemble an array of evidence based and researched facts about periodontal disease and be able to educate patients on the condition.

I could use digital images and infographics to educate students on a variety of topics within the dental profession. My first idea would be using digital images to show students what they can expect or what they should be looking for in a patients mouth. Infographics are awesome in my opinion and this would be a great way for students to visually understand disease processes and create treatment plans for patients. 

Access: Access to technology is easier at the college level with wifi, computer labs, and the library all within a few minute walk. In the Dental Hygiene program, we wouldn't necessarily have a visually challenged student, but more so we would see patients who fall at all different places on the vision spectrum. Everyday dental challenges are 1) it is hard for a patient with normal vision to see inside their own mouth as it is (thank you for the technology of intra-oral cameras, 2) it is hard for a patient to understand they have an active disease if they feel fine and are not experiencing any pain, and 3) ultimately, it is always easier to actually show a patient pathologies, because they learn and understand better that way. For a patient who cannot interpret images it is our goal and liability that the patient understands and based off that information can give consent for care. It is pertinent to give detailed descriptions of the concern so they can create their own internal image.

Application: Referring back to the reading in week 1, my lesson would include images and written text. This would link back to the spatial contiguity principle, where students can collaborate words with images to gain stronger knowledge on the topic without an abundance of information they won't remember. 

Reflection: Access is very important and especially important to consider others learning disabilities (such as visual) when lesson planning. The process takes longer for me, because I am indecisive and want perfection, as most Dental Hygienists.

I found it frustrating searching for images that I had in my mind and wanted to use, but couldn't find any with allowed copyright usage. I have been one to use images (copy and paste) from google, therefore this is all eye opening to me. I loved creating an infographic, but I am not a fan of GIF's. 

Find my GIF here and below
This GIF is fun for children, showing them if frogs can brush anywhere, than children can brush too.
Images were found on Pixabay, by Alexandra (2015) and are all CCO - public domain. 


Digital Image Collage
Photo credit: Wikipedia, A healthy adolescent smile, CCAttribution-SA
Original can be found here

Infographic

1 comment:

  1. Your GIF grabbed my attention right away! I loved how you used a variety of pictures to spread the importance of brushing your teeth. It keeps my focus throughout your blog post. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete