Healthy Mouth, Healthy You Video, by ListerineAntiseptic on YouTube for Education
This is a video I would use when educating my dental hygiene students probably in the middle of first and second year of the program. If students are in the program they were required to have a variety of math, biology, microbiology, anatomy, and chemistry classes (approximately two years of classes) prior to program admittance. Within this time period of the program students are fairly knowledgeable on the oral disease, the process, and how to manage it, making it a good time to introduce the connection to systemic diseases. This video discusses bacteria in the mouth and how it colonizes and continues to grow and travel through the body unless interrupted by good oral home care.
I like the graphics in this video, and it’s more than
appropriate for what students are required to learn. I believe this short video gives a visual
perspective of what where are constantly lecturing about bacteria in the mouth
and how it grows/spreads/travels etc. I
would say if you found the topic interesting, it would keep your attention, as
it kept mine. The video is put together by Listerine and Reach, who are two
very reputable companies, who use evidence based research to sell their
products. Luckily, they aren’t selling
products in the video, but encouraging good oral health. The video is found on YouTube, under
education. You cannot change or alter
the video/information but you can use it for educational purposes.
Click here for the instructional video I created. I apologize ahead of time it is fast paced and the the timing it off in a few spots.
Idea: Create a video to use
in my own classroom to teach students about periodontal irrigation.
Learning Objective: Students will be able to assemble all materials necessary for periodontal irrigation and understand the concept behind irrigating periodontal pockets.
Learning Objective: Students will be able to assemble all materials necessary for periodontal irrigation and understand the concept behind irrigating periodontal pockets.
I could use videos in an
array of subjects in dental hygiene. A video is nice because in some sections
you only have an eighth, quarter, or half of the students; therefore have to do
the same lecture over and over. A video
would pretty much ensure that you are providing the same information to all the
students without overlooking any key information. It would be nice to use your own video
footage/images so you don’t have to worry about copyright and in my case, a
typodont (model of the mouth) would really be helpful. I would have to allow students to access the
videos to review and study from, thus influencing the success of using videos,
so the information they are studying is the same and not what they think their
notes are saying… It would definitely take some time to create videos and that
time would have to be considered worth it or maybe not?
Application: Referring back to the reading in week 1, my lesson would include images with verbal and written text. I would say my videos would go along the lines of the Temporal contiguity Principle which states, “people learn more deeply from a multimedia message when corresponding graphics and narration are presented simultaneously rather than successively” (Mayer 2014). Graphics and narration would be extremely important when creating a video for students, because most of everything we teach is brand new information that builds lesson after lesson.
Application: Referring back to the reading in week 1, my lesson would include images with verbal and written text. I would say my videos would go along the lines of the Temporal contiguity Principle which states, “people learn more deeply from a multimedia message when corresponding graphics and narration are presented simultaneously rather than successively” (Mayer 2014). Graphics and narration would be extremely important when creating a video for students, because most of everything we teach is brand new information that builds lesson after lesson.
Reflection: This week I found that we can be more creative with videos, but it takes longer to make your video perfect. Well… takes me longer anyway. I enjoyed the ability to create my own videos, because I have a hard time with some Youtube videos expressing false information, when you are trying to teach students the importance of evidence based material. I noticed tensions between the program I was using and myself because first I was too involved to start using another program, therefore I spent money to upgrade to a different version, only to find out that I had to record my whole video in one swipe without watching it (couldn’t do both at the same time), so I was frustrated with timing (you will notice my timing is still off in a few areas) and at most each visual portion could only be 20 seconds, as you will notice my video moves fairly quickly. All videos may record like this, but it would have been way easier to record in sections. Overall, I learned what I like and didn’t like and I feel that will make the next one a little easier. :]
Mayer,
R. E. (2014). Research-based principles for designing multimedia instruction. In V. A. Benassi, C. E. Overson, & C. M. Hakala (Eds.),
Applying science of learning
in education: Infusing psychological science into the curriculum.
Jamie-
ReplyDeleteYou did a GREAT job with your video! I had never heard of the software you used called Raw Short, but it is definitely one I want to check out now! I was very impressed with all the information you were able to put in your video. I learned how to number teeth which I found to be pretty cool! Your audio was very informative and clear to understand. I really enjoyed your video and am glad you used a program I was unfamiliar with. Overall, great job!
Hey Jamie!
ReplyDeleteI loved the video you made! I used to work in a dentist office (I verified insurance all day lol), so I didn't do much with teeth exactly, but I was proud that I knew most of what you were describing. (My grandpa was a dentist, so I'm sure he would be proud of my dental hygiene knowledge too lol.)
Overall great job! It's interesting to see how these are assignments are completed by someone who does not teach "traditional" subject matter.
Hi Jamie-
ReplyDeleteI thought you created a great video and can see how you can use it for your groups of students. I will definitely have to look into using rawshot, also! I really thought the sound quality and video was well done. I think the images enhanced the video and liked that you didn't have a lot of writing on the graphics. I did notice you speed up a bit at the end of the video. Other than that, you did a fantastic job! Plus, I thought the content was very interesting.
Hi Jamie-
ReplyDeleteI thought you created a great video and can see how you can use it for your groups of students. I will definitely have to look into using rawshot, also! I really thought the sound quality and video was well done. I think the images enhanced the video and liked that you didn't have a lot of writing on the graphics. I did notice you speed up a bit at the end of the video. Other than that, you did a fantastic job! Plus, I thought the content was very interesting.
Jamie, great job! I already knew the number of teeth for adults, but did not realized that we only have 20 baby teeth. This is probably due to me only having a 7 year old step daughter that has lost four teeth. At least now I will be better informed and not be wondering why she has not lost more teeth as she gets older.
ReplyDeleteJamie, great job! I already knew the number of teeth for adults, but did not realized that we only have 20 baby teeth. This is probably due to me only having a 7 year old step daughter that has lost four teeth. At least now I will be better informed and not be wondering why she has not lost more teeth as she gets older.
ReplyDelete